About Ivette Alvarez
An experienced family law attorney with extensive courtroom experience.
Ivette Alvarez graduated from Columbia Law School while raising her family and has remained an advocate for families in distress for over 30 years.
Ms. Alvarez makes a commitment to educate every client about the law, every step of the way, so together they can achieve the best possible outcome. Ivette graduated from Columbia Law School while working in a family business and raising a toddler and a teenager and knows only too well that holding lives together while going through what can be an emotionally devastating experience can be daunting. She understands the challenges her clients face every day, which is why she chose to focus her legal concentration in family law. With extensive courtroom experience, she skillfully guides them through the process while protecting their interests. She prides herself on having an open communication style that builds trust, expedites the legal process and minimizes frustration for her clients and opponents.
As an active member of the American, New Jersey State and Morris County Bar Associations, Ivette has volunteered her time for various committees and sections. Currently, Ivette serves on the American Bar Association Standing Committee on the American Judicial System, on the Board of Legal Services of New Jersey, the Supreme Court Board of Continuing Legal Education, and the Supreme Court Family Law Practice Committee where she Co-Chairs the Dissolution Sub-Committee.
In addition, Ivette has chaired the Hispanic Bar Association Judicial and Prosecutorial Appointments Committee (JPAC) from 2012-present. She is fluent in Spanish.
Qualifications and representations
Columbia University of Law, Juris Doctor, 1985
State University of New York at Albany, Bachelor of Arts
Professional Associations and Memberships
- New Jersey State Bar Association
- Past Chair, Family Law Section of the New Jersey State Bar Association Family Law Executive Committee
- Hispanic National Bar Association
- Vice President of Memberships
- Morris County Bar Association
- Hispanic Bar Association of New Jersey
- Chair, Judicial and Prosecutorial Appointments Committee
- New Jersey Supreme Court Committees
- Supreme Court Board of Continuing Legal Education
- Supreme Court Family Law Practice Committee and Co-Chair of the Dissolution Subcommittee
- Past Chair of the District V-C Fee Arbitration Committee
- Ad-Hoc Committee on Skills and Methods
Awards and Recognitions
- La Tribuna: Distinguished Women Award, 1999
- NJ Commission on Professionalism in the Law: Professional Lawyer of the Year Award, 2005
- New Jersey State Bar: Annual Legislative Recognition Award, 2006
- Women Acknowledged and Recognized for Achievements: Professional Women Award, 2006
- Latina’s United for Political Empowerment: Power of Women Award, 2009
- Hispanic Business Council: Achievement Award, 2010